EIGHT DAYS AT A TIME

“I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” - T. S. Eliot, from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

I do not measure out my life with coffee spoons. I measure out my life in eight-day increments with my Smitwitfiss.

What is a Smitwitfiss? You may well ask. It’s simply one of those plastic doohickeys that holds pills... what my Philadelphia-based daughter might call “the medicine jawn.” It has seven compartments, each one corresponding to a day of the week: SMTWTFS.

When all of its seven compartments are empty, it is time for me to replenish my Smitwitfiss. I fill each of its seven compartments with my various medicaments, taking that evening’s dose directly out of the bottles. Thus I only have to recharge once every eight days. (Little efficiencies mean a lot when any task requiring manual dexterity grows ever more challenging.) Instead of a baker’s dozen, it’s a baker’s week.

As for what I load into my Smitwitfiss, it’s not much different from what it used to be. It’s pretty much the standard Old Guy stuff. Blood pressure medicine. Cholesterol medicine. Allergy medicine. A little vitamin D for strong bones. Just the stuff I take every night before going to bed.

But nowadays there’s one additional little pill that I take mornings and evenings. It’s called Riluzol, and it is prescribed for one condition only. One that will get you a sympathetic look – and possibly even a hug - from your pharmacist.

Taking Riluzol may help me squeeze out a few extra months. The average, according to the huge and detailed leaflet that accompanies it, is three.

I will measure those months, along with all the others that are left to me, eight days at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the pill regimen. Some days I want rebel shout: NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE.
    Billy Idol can stuff it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put.

    Sending strength, love, sympathetic looks and hugs...from philly and all it’s jawns

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments. Comments are subject to moderation and any that are deemed inappropriate in the sole discretion of the author will be deleted.

NAMING CONVENTIONS

When I decided to start this blog - my third! - I had to select an appropriate name for it. I decided on the one you see above, but several...

Popular Posts